Recipe for Healthy Nerves: Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
This recipe features quinoa as a nutrient-dense grain that provides fiber, protein, and various vitamins and minerals. Quinoa is known to support nerve health due to its high content of B vitamins, which are essential for proper nerve function. The colorful bell peppers offer antioxidants and additional vitamins to support overall nerve health. The combination of vegetables and herbs adds flavor and provides an array of nutrients that contribute to a well-rounded diet.
Enjoy these tasty quinoa stuffed bell peppers as a nourishing meal that supports healthy nerves.
- 4 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for cooking
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, fresh parsley
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut the tops off the bell peppers and remove the seeds and membranes from the inside. Rinse them and set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the quinoa, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked and the water is absorbed.
- In a separate large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and sauté until they become translucent and fragrant.
- Add the diced zucchini, grated carrot, and chopped mushrooms to the skillet. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the canned diced tomatoes, dried oregano, dried basil, cumin, salt, and pepper. Let the mixture simmer for another 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Remove the skillet from heat and add the cooked quinoa. Mix everything well to combine.
- Take the bell peppers and stuff them with the quinoa and vegetable mixture. Place the stuffed peppers upright in a baking dish.
- If desired, sprinkle some shredded cheese on top of each stuffed pepper for added flavor.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the peppers are tender.
- Once cooked, remove the foil and let the stuffed peppers cool slightly before serving.
- Garnish with fresh parsley if desired and enjoy the delicious and nutritious quinoa stuffed bell peppers.